Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Man Said to the Universe

Of all the poems that we have read this semester, my most favorite is “A Man Said to the Universe.” This poem is my favorite because it is short, sweet, to the point, and it doesn’t have any metaphors or symbols where I would have to read between the lines just to get the meaning of the poem. The poem talks about a man tell the universe that “I exist” and the universe says in response “that fact has not created in me a sense of obligation.” In essence the universe is saying just because you exit, that has nothing to do with me. I don’t owe you anything. But in the universes defense, the man said it as if the universe was supposed to do something since he existed. Also while reading this I get the vibe that the universe is saying what he said with an attitude while laughing witch any person would do when a person is before them as if they are owed something. They would have to work for what ever they want just like everyone else. On the other hand the man could not have wanted any thing. What if the man wanted to let the universe know that he was there?

No comments:

Post a Comment