Sunday, April 25, 2010

Plath & Her Ways (Aauzsa Mack)

Sylvia Plath was labeled as a suicidal and confessional poet. And why was this? The reason for this is because she conveyed her feeling through the poem without trying to alter the character, story, or the setting. “Lady Lazarus” and “Daddy” were both poems that identified to Plath. She used her suicidal tendencies to enhance her writings and would then describe the experience as in “Lady Lazarus” in which it was her being reborn, being revived from her attempt. Her insane ways has earned her a spot in the literature book but why? She is obviously a good writer and the way she writes has many symbolic meaning as in “Daddy” was she compared him to a “Nazi”. This is a powerful descriptive poem in a since that she despite her father even though he is one of the inspiration to her writings. She puts herself in a Jews position in the poem for instance, “Chuffing me off like a Jew, A Jew to Dachau, Auschwitz, Belsen.” Those were examples of harsh environments for the Jewish people during WW II. This is only part of how Plath used her life as motivation for her poetry.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! How are you doing Minni Buffy. I like the insights that you gave on my blog post. I will have to agree with the comments you have blogged above also. I didn't read the story but from the way you compared it to "Lady Lazarus" and what I was told about this story, it helped me get a better understanding of what the story was truly about. Like many others, I can attest to being in such hostile environments. I guess that would make me a little more biased to their situation.

    ReplyDelete