Wednesday, February 24, 2010

In a Station of the Metro

I really didn't undstand the poem by Ezar Pound until I found a summary on "In a Station of the Metro." In the first line the poet is basically watching the faces appear in a crowded metro station. When I first read the poem I didn't know that we were in Paris, which means that everyone look really nice. The author is trying to get us to see things in perspective and "apparition" means that the faces are becoming visible to him very suddenly and disappearing just as fast. The faces are almost like ghost. by calling them "faces," the author puts us right in the middle of the subway. The station must be pretty full because their a "crowd." In the second line the author says the faces look like flower petals on a wet, black bough. The wet black bough and Paris are same because the wet and black. I enjoyed the poem because the author had a interesting story in a such a short poem.

2 comments:

  1. I am very glad that Siran was able to find a summary and explain this particular poem because it was definitely very hard to understand eventhough it only had two lines. I am not sure how Pound expects the reader to understand or know that this is taking place in Paris. The only thing that I get out of the first line is that there is a large crowd of people at a metro station. I guess the petals in the second line are suppose to be the people which stand out like a flower petal would if it was on something black.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least someone found a summary lol. This post brings forth an idea and visualization that I didn't have before. When I think about this large crowd in a subway in America, you have all different types of people. Everyone is dressed different, different skin color, hair color, pretty much the works. During this time period however, most everyone had the same style in everything. As the crowd passes by one can not focus on a certain person but they pass just as Siran points out, like "ghost." There is no time to focus. The poem is short and in fact gives us just enough room to come up with our own analysis.

    ReplyDelete