Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Notorious Jumping Frog of Calaveras County by Mark Twain was quite interesting to me because it was fun. There is no real point or lesson to be learned from this writing, which I guess is a reason why I like it so. This fictional writing was about a character by the name of Jim Smiley who liked to bet on basically everything. It would not matter what the chances were of Jim Smiley winning the bet were, it did not matter how dumb or crazy the bet was. Jim Smiley played the cards he was dealt, and always seemed to win his bets. In this particular story, Jim Smiley found a frog and bet that his frog would jump higher than any other frog that challenged it. There was nothing special about the frog at all; it just was like any other frog but Smiley chooses place bets like that. With his luck he wins all of his bets until one day a stranger comes to town; automatically Smiley wants to bet him, but he doesn’t have a frog. So Smiley leaves to get him one, but while he is gone the stranger cheats by putting a couple of teaspoons of quail shots in the frog. This made Smiley’s frog heavier and allowed for the stranger’s frog to out jump his. Smiley’s luck finally runs out.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Dotson, I totally agree with you about the story being fun! Usually I hate reading, but Twain came through with this great "kiddy" story. Most literature stories are boring and make me lose focus easily, but not this one. I enjoyed the humor and even the exaggeration that Twain used throughout the entire story. Betting on a jumping frog is hilarious in itself, but for the master gambler to be hustled by a total stranger was even funnier. If there were more readings like this in literature, Mr. Dotson, I would have no problem reading every day. Would you? haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this story as much as Mr. Dotson does. Though Mr. Dotson does not see any underlying meaning to the story, I see a little meaning to the character Jim Smiley. He is young innocence that tries to get luck out of anything. He was vulnerable to schemers like the stranger who put quail shot in his frog. I believe it may be a lesson for everyone to understand strangers and not always take bets. Overall, this was a great story and I enjoyed it. Probably not as much as Mitchell though...

    ReplyDelete