Wednesday, February 17, 2010

WE ARE JUST ALIKE

I want to comment on Mark Twain’s story titled “Life on the Mississippi” for a couple of reasons. For one, I just so have happened to have read this story while I was in Advanced Placement English in my senior year of high school. Some things did not seem as obvious to me then as they do now. It portrays how young adults and/or teenage children have goals that they have set for themselves. Not only that…but they are ambitious in their train of thought. My other reason for choosing this story is that it stuck out to me in a since of reminiscence of my own childhood. After my mother passed away and my father was incarcerated, my brother and I moved to Mississippi and were nurtured into the young adults we are today. We were brought up in a small town called Shubuta. There are about five surrounding communities that together have a population of about 681 people total. The only reason that Shubuta shows up on the map before the other communities is because the Post Office is located here. Along with other growing individuals of this community we always dreamed of going big and leaving this small town we grew up in. I think that the pursuit of happiness is the real them shared in this story as well as the lives of the readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment